Live from SXSW 2018
Excerpt from Nick Savides’ blog post:
For the first time ever, I did a live episode of The nsavides Podcast a few days ago, and what an honor it was to do that as an official event at SXSW 2018. What’s more I got to do the show with my friends and some of the most talented filmmakers I know in Louisiana: cinematographer Matt S. Bell, director-editor Misty Talley, and producer Sam Claitor.
All three are from Fable House, a production company in Baton Rouge that has produced over $2 million in content. Whether shooting commercials for Toyota and Airbnb, working with artists like Kendrick Lamar and 30 Seconds to Mars, directing films with all kinds of creatures (including the dreaded zombie shark!) or doing effects work for projects like Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Game of Thrones, and Star Trek: Into Darkness, Matt, Misty, and Sam truly have experiences that run the gamut of what film production involves.
Indie Filmmaking In Louisiana
Fable House Films
Some of our discussion topics include:
- How Matt built a reputation by taking memorable band photos
- Developing an artistic sensibility by collecting samples of inspiring work from others
- What Misty learned as an editor that makes her a better director
- Why Sam transitioned from vfx work on massive projects to producing films with smaller budgets
- How Fable House works together to develop an effects-driven sequence
- Essential elements of a compelling shark film
Since it was a live show, we decided to change it up a bit. In other words, this episode is a little different than a typical one, but I hope that you’ll still get some practical suggestions and inspiration to keep your dreams alive.